Over 20 Years Of Family Law Advocacy

Modifying Custody And Support Orders In California

Change is inevitable and has the potential to impact every aspect of your life, including court orders related to child custody and child support. In fact, there are many situations in which a significant change in circumstances warrants a modification to an existing child custody arrangement or child support order. After all, just because something worked in the past doesn’t mean it is still a good idea, let alone in your child’s best interests.

At the Law Office of Susan J. Gurev, APLC, attorney Susan Gurev is committed to providing parents with comprehensive and compassionate legal guidance. Not only is she concerned with protecting parental rights, but she also strives to safeguard the well-being of children. She recognizes that modifications to existing custody and support orders may be required to achieve these goals, especially as circumstances change and time passes.

If you have questions about modifications to court orders and need to speak to an experienced lawyer, contact the Law Office of Susan J. Gurev, APLC, today. With more than a decade of legal experience, attorney Susan Gurev will carefully explain your legal options and guide you through this often-complicated process. It does not matter if you and your child’s other parent are divorced or were never married, she can help modify a child custody order or child support obligations.

From our Tustin office, she serves clients in Orange County and the surrounding areas, including those in Irvine, Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Bernardino and throughout Southern California. You can email her online or call at 657-212-9661.

Child Custody And Child Support Modifications: The Basics

After a custody order is in place, it can be modified whenever the court deems it necessary or proper for the child’s best interests. This typically requires the parent seeking the change to show there has been a significant change in circumstances since the custody order was put in place. A change in circumstances is needed to ensure that modifications do not upset a child’s stable living arrangement.

Similarly, you may request a modification to child support payments following a change in circumstances such as when one parent gets a new job or, conversely, loses a job. Essentially, anything that significantly affects a parent’s income may be enough to change child support obligations.